[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Mon May 27 14:50:56 EDT 2024

COAPS Short Seminar Series

11:00 AM May 1st

Attend F2F (in 255 Research A) or Virtually (via Zoom)

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/92268262553<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/fsu.zoom.us/j/92268262553__;!!PhOWcWs!wZt_bDONSRk3OH93Wt1nMsR9gNNTus-Mf9gaoCjEXsRoSmJxegZ2I0ErN_off8Mr4LpvzYS-WasMhbgWqDKI1zU$>

Meeting ID: 922 6826 2553

Talks are normally 12 minutes long with an additional 8 minutes for questions, but we have one longer talk this time.

Mesoscale current feedback: Consequences for ocean dynamics and sea surface wave generation
By Marco Larrañaga
Description: The feedback of surface oceanic currents to the atmosphere has been shown to correct persistent biases in representing mesoscale eddies and western boundary currents by providing a clear energy sink from oceanic eddies to the atmosphere. However, its impact on regional ocean dynamics has not been widely studied. The Gulf of Mexico, characterized by the emblematic Loop Current and significant mesoscale activity, is an ideal region to investigate the importance of current feedback in modulating ocean dynamics.
To address this, we use a set of two 24-year ocean-atmosphere eddy-rich coupled simulations, one incorporating the current feedback and the other without it. By damping mesoscale activity by about 20%, the current feedback increases the Loop Current extension and plays a key role in determining the periodicity and spatial occurrence of Loop Current eddy reattachments and separations, as well as the properties of the eddies.
Regarding the interaction between sea surface waves and mesoscale eddies, studies have highlighted that mesoscale eddies refract remotely generated waves (swell) and produce negative (positive) significant wave height anomalies when waves and currents have the same (opposite) directions, with dominant occurrence of negative anomalies.

However, we use observations from the Chinese-French Oceanography Satellite (CFOSAT) to show that the current feedback to the atmosphere indirectly affects the generation of sea surface waves. This feedback induces positive (negative) anomalies in wind stress over eddy regions where currents oppose (align) the wind direction. Consequently, this results in positive (negative) anomalies in the significant wave height of locally generated waves, with a dominant occurrence of positive anomalies. Additionally, our results show that stronger eddies produce stronger significant wave height anomalies.