[Eoas-seminar] [Seminar-announce] Scientific Computing Colloquium with David Bortz

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Sat Feb 24 16:30:24 EST 2024

"The Surprising Robustness and Computational Efficiency of Weak Form System Identification"

David Bortz, Applied Mathematics, University of Colorado Boulder

Please feel free to forward/share this invitation with other groups/disciplines that might be interested in this talk/topic. All are welcome to attend.

NOTE: In-person attendance is requested. Zoom access is intended for external (non-departmental) participants only.

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/94273595552

Meeting # 942 7359 5552

🎦 Colloquium recordings will be made available here, https://www.sc.fsu.edu/colloquium

Wednesday, Feb 28th, 2024, Schedule:

* 3:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
☕ Nespresso & Teatime - 417 DSL Commons

* 3:30 to 4:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
🕟 Colloquium - 499 DSL Seminar Room

Abstract:
Recent advances in data-driven modeling approaches have proven highly successful in a wide range of fields in science and engineering. In this talk, I will briefly discuss several ubiquitous challenges with the conventional model development / discretization / parameter inference / model revision loop that our methodology attempts to address. I will present our weak form methodology which has proven to have surprising performance and robustness properties. In particular, I will describe our equation learning (WSINDy) and parameter estimation (WENDy) algorithms.  Lastly, I will discuss applications to several benchmark problems, illustrating how our approach addresses several of the above issues and offers advantages in terms of computational efficiency, noise robustness, and modest data needs (in an online learning context).

Additional colloquium details can be found here,
https://www.sc.fsu.edu/news-and-events/colloquium/1771-colloquium-with-david-bortz-2024-02-28