[Eoas-seminar] Informal Seminar - Wednesday February 14th, Dr. Satoru Okajima, University of Tokyo

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 8 06:48:51 EST 2024

Dear all,

Please join for an informal lunchtime seminar on Wednesday 14th February, by Dr. Satoru Okajima from the University of Tokyo, Japan, on "Transient eddy activity in midlatitudes: seasonality and air-sea interactions" (abstract below).

Satoru will be joining us in person here in EOAS and is available to meet throughout Wednesday and most of Thursday - please contact me if you would like to meet with him.

DATE: Wednesday February 14
SEMINAR TIME: Talk 12 PM - 1 PM.
SEMINAR LOCATION: EOA 3067 (Speaker in person)
SPEAKER: Dr. Satoru Okajima

TITLE: Transient eddy activity in midlatitudes: seasonality and air-sea interactions

ABSTRACT: Transient eddies (migratory cyclones and anticyclones) are pivotal in both weather and climate in the extratropics. They account for most of the day-to-day weather variability and maintain background fields through their interaction with longer-scale atmospheric circulation variations and jet streams. Areas of vigorous transient eddy activity, called "storm tracks", are located over the North Pacific, North Atlantic, South Indian Ocean, and Mediterranean Sea. They are collocated well with regions of large lower-tropospheric baroclinicity. However, the seasonality of transient eddy activity and that of baroclinicity do not always correspond well with each other. In this talk, we will explore the results of studies on the distinctive seasonality of the transient eddy activity of oceanic storm tracks by comparing methods based on tracking individual cyclones/anticyclones and those based on temporally filtered local eddy statistics. Additionally, we will explore the role of atmospheric transient eddies in the midlatitude air-sea interactions. By quantifying the contributions of cyclones and anticyclones to climatological-mean heat and moisture supply from the ocean and rainfall along the two major oceanic frontal zones over the North Pacific and North Atlantic, we demonstrate that oceanic frontal zones climatologically act to strengthen the hydrological cycle between cyclones and anticyclones.