[Eoas-seminar] Reminder: Seminar today at 10:45am in EOAS 6042 by Zihua Liu on "Life cycle of internal waves and potential implementation in the Arctic Ocean"

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Apr 19 09:49:56 EDT 2024

Seminar this Friday April 19 at 10:45am in EOAS 6042 by Physical Oceanography faculty candidate Zihua Liu.
Please note the odd starting time of 10:45am in EOAS 6042. This is to ensure we can vacate the room promptly at noon for a class.

The title and abstract of her seminar are as follows:

"Life cycle of internal waves and potential implementation in the Arctic Ocean"

Internal waves are ubiquitous in the ocean, playing a crucial role by facilitating energy
transfer and vertical mixing, which regulate water properties and large-scale circulations.
These waves enhance nutrient transport that supports marine life and influences the dis-
tribution and behavior of marine organisms, impacting overall oceanic productivity and
ecological dynamics. We studied the generation and evolution of internal waves on the
continental shelf in order to better understand their life cycle. For the generation, horizon-
tal distribution of the barotropic-to-baroclinic energy conversion has been widely studied
to examine the generation of internal tides. The vertical structure that provides insights
into the dynamics of conversion, however, is masked by this depth-integrated energy con-
version. We reveal the vertical profile of energy conversion by employing an idealized
ocean model in a slope-shelf context forced by M2 barotropic tide. The model shows
two vertically separated hotspots of energy conversion, near the sloping bottom and at
the pycnocline. The generated internal tidal beams can incident onto a continental shelf,
and then its transition into modal internal tides, and the subsequent generation of on-
shore propagating internal solitary waves are investigated. Understanding characteristics
of internal waves can help us explore their impacts. From recent acoustic observations,
we found that the movement of mesopelagic fish is driven by internal waves, which was
unknown before.

---
Eric Chassignet
Professor and Director
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies (COAPS)
Florida State University
2000 Levy Avenue, Building A, Suite 292
P.O. Box 3062741
Tallahassee, FL  32306-2741

Office : (1) 850-645-7288
COAPS  : (1) 850-644-3846
Cell   : (1) 850-524-0033 (urgent matters only)
FAX    : (1) 850-644-4841
E-mail : echassignet at fsu.edu
http://www.coaps.fsu.edu<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coaps.fsu.edu%2F&data=05%7C02%7Ceoas-seminar%40lists.fsu.edu%7Cce7763b1999a4e3b79c908dc60779936%7Ca36450ebdb0642a78d1b026719f701e3%7C0%7C0%7C638491313985054107%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=VpAuKuH1b1HDwaqRXRCQCKm9zVlAmVHs0BXkv3twS3U%3D&reserved=0>