[Eoas-seminar] EOAS colloquium, Friday April 19, 3pm

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:17:17 EDT 2024

Dear all,
Please join us this coming Friday April 19 for an EOAS colloquium given by Dr. Xiaoming Wang from Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History.
Title:  Vertebrate Fossils in High Tibet and Adaptation in Extreme Environment.
Time: 3 pm Friday, April 19th
Location: 1050 EOA
Abstract: The Tibetan Plateau is a study in contrasts and extremes. It has the world's tallest mountain ranges in the Himalayas and it has some of the most unique environments with arctic-like climate, thin air, high summer radiation, and in places, arid terrains. These harsh environments are often impediments to scientific explorations.  Over the last 30 years, my team of paleontologists and geologists has explored Tibet for vertebrate fossils dating back up to 20 million years and its paleoenvironments.  Our surprising discoveries of ancestral woolly rhinos and swollen-boned fishes suggest that harsh environments served as a major driver of vertebrate evolution. Tibet also forms sharp zoogeographic boundaries with the surrounding regions and serves as a cradle of evolution for Ice Age megafauna in Eurasia.

If you would like to meet with the speaker on Friday, either before or after the colloquium, please email Yang Wang (ywang at magnet.fsu.edu <mailto:ywang at magnet.fsu.edu>).
We look forward to seeing you there!
Cheers,
Yang

Yang Wang
Professor
Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Science
Florida State University
1011 Academic Way-5005M
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4520
Phone: 850-644-1121