[Eoas-seminar] EOAS Colloquium at 3:00 PM, Friday, Sep. 29

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 26 09:01:35 EDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to announce that this week's speaker of the EOAS colloquium is Dr. Scott Evans of EOAS
Time: Friday, Sep 29 @ 3:00 PM

Location: EOAS 1050 (regular EOAS colloquium room)

Title: Fresh perspectives on an old question: New species, localities, and patterns of change in the oldest fossil animals

Abstract: The diversification of abundant, complex animals is preserved in soft-bodied fossils belonging to the Ediacara Biota – the oldest macroscopic communities in the geologic record. While the discovery of such fossils represents a remarkable step in our understanding of metazoan evolution, resolving many longstanding queries (e.g., Darwin’s Dilemma), our view of the Ediacaran is limited by the relatively few exceptional deposits containing abundant and well-constrained examples of these unique taxa. Further, the relationships between these ancient complex life forms and modern animals are often enigmatic. In this talk I will highlight several new advances in our understanding of the Ediacara Biota – from an extinction event to new localities and species – that help to contextualize these exceptional fossils within the broader picture of the emergence of animal life on this planet.

A Note: Colleagues are encouraged to attend the colloquium in person. However, attending online will be feasible. Please request the colloquium Zoom link from Zhaohua Wu (zwu at fsu.edu) if you plan to attend online.

Cheers,

Zhaohua

Zhaohua Wu, Professor

Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science Building, Room 6041, and

Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies, Room 295

Florida State University

Tallahassee, Florida

zwu at fsu.edu<mailto:zwu at fsu.edu>