[Eoas-seminar] MET Seminar - Thursday November 16 - Dr. Nadir Jeevanjee (NOAA GFDL)

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:59:01 EST 2023

Dear all,

Please join us next Thursday November 16 for a Meteorology seminar, given by Dr. Nadir Jeevanjee of NOAA’s Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory. He will speak about "Theoretical constraints on convective clouds” (abstract below).

Dr. Jeevanjee will be joining us in person in 1044. If you are interested in meeting with him, please contact Allison Wing (awing at fsu.edu<mailto:awing at fsu.edu>).

Graduate students, there will be a free lunch with Dr. Jeevanjee on Thursday. Please RSVP to Allison Wing.
Faculty, please join the speaker and I for drinks and casual conversation at Proof at the Union immediately after the seminar.

DATE: Thursday November 16
SEMINAR TIME: Refreshments at 3 PM, Talk 3:15 - 4:15 PM
SEMINAR LOCATION: EOA 1044 (Speaker in person)
SPEAKER: Dr. Nadir Jeevanjee

TITLE: Theoretical constraints on convective clouds

ABSTRACT: Convective clouds are central characters in weather and climate, but are governed by a complex interplay of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and cloud microphysics which make their gross behavior difficult to understand. Here we identify constraints on two aspects of convective cloudiness: the convective mass-flux and the density of liquid water within cloudy updrafts. We show that convective mass-flux is constrained to decrease with warming at a rate of 3-4%/K, and that the density of cloud liquid water is constrained to be about 1/10 the value of boundary layer specific humidity in both present day and warmed climates. Both constraints are verified across a wide hierarchy of models, from pencil-and-paper theory to cloud-resolving models to global climate models.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,

Allison

Allison Wing, Ph.D.
Werner A. and Shirley B. Baum Professor
Associate Professor, Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Science
Florida State University
awing at fsu.edu<mailto:awing at fsu.edu>