[Eoas-seminar] Visiting research scientist Aviatar Bach (today and tomorrow)

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:09:28 EST 2023

Hello everyone,

Aviatar Bach (https://eviatarbach.com/cv/) will be visiting the
Department of Scientific Computing March 1st and 2nd.

He will a talk **at the colloquium of SC with the title *Towards the
combination of physical and data-driven forecasts for Earth system
prediction*  today Wednesday March 1st starting at 3:30 in 499DSL.

If you would like to join by zoom: https://fsu.zoom.us/j/94273595552

He is also available to talk with other scientist during his visit. If
you are interested please contact Olmo Zavala osz09 at fsu.edu ASAP.

*Abstract:*

Due to the recent success of machine learning (ML) in many prediction
problems, there is a high degree of interest in applying ML to Earth
system prediction. However, because of the high dimensionality of the
system, it is critical to use hybrid methods which combine data-driven
models, physical models, and observations. I will present two such
hybrid methods: Ensemble Oscillation Correction (EnOC) and the
multi-model ensemble Kalman filter (MM-EnKF).

Oscillatory modes of the climate system are one of its most predictable
features, especially at intraseasonal timescales. It has previously been
shown that these oscillations can be predicted well with statistical
methods, often with better skill than dynamical models. However, they
only represent a portion of the signal, and a method for beneficially
combining them with dynamical forecasts of the full system has not
previously been developed. Ensemble Oscillation Correction (EnOC) is a
method which corrects oscillatory modes in ensemble forecasts from
dynamical models. I will show results of EnOC applied to forecasts of
South Asian monsoon rainfall, outperforming the state-of-the-art
forecasts on subseasonal-to-seasonal timescales.

A more general method for combining multiple models and observations is
multi-model data assimilation (MM-DA). MM-DA generalizes the
variational, Bayesian, and minimum variance formulation of the Kalman
filter. Here, I will show how multiple model ensembles can be combined
for both DA and forecasting in a flow-dependent manner using a
multi-model ensemble Kalman filter (MM-EnKF). This methodology is
applied to multiscale chaotic models and results in significant error
reductions compared to the best model and to an unweighted multi-model
ensemble. Lastly, I will discuss the prospects of using the MM-EnKF for
hybrid forecasting.

Thanks,

Olmo

--