[Eoas-seminar] MET Seminar Thursday Nov 17 3:00 - 4:15 PM: Dr. Tsung-Lin Hsieh (NOAA GFDL/Princeton)

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Mon Nov 14 09:38:38 EST 2022

Dear all,

Please join us this Thursday November 17 for our last Meteorology seminar of the semester, given by Dr. Tsung-Lin Hsieh<https://www.tsunglinhsieh.site>. Dr. Hsieh is a postdoctoral research associate at NOAA’s Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory/Princeton University. He will speak about "Tropical cyclone frequency in the future: understanding the model uncertainty through the dynamics of seed vortices”.

Dr. Hsieh will be joining us virtually but we will gather in EOA 1044 to participate in the seminar. If you cannot attend in person due to a medical reason or approved work out of town, please contact Allison Wing (awing at fsu.edu<mailto:awing at fsu.edu>) for remote access. Otherwise, we look forward to seeing everyone in 1044! Please join us at 3 PM for refreshments prior to the beginning of the talk at 3:15 PM.

Graduate students are invited to participate in a student-only Q&A with the speaker at 2:15 PM in EOA 6067. This is a great opportunity to meet the speaker and discuss science and work/life/career topics in an informal setting.

If you are interested in meeting individually with the speaker, please contact Allison Wing.

DATE: Thursday November 17
STUDENT Q&A: 2:15 PM, EOA 6067
SEMINAR TIME: Refreshments at 3 PM, Talk 3:15 PM - 4:15 PM.
SEMINAR LOCATION: EOA 1044 (speaker remote)
SPEAKER: Dr. Tsung-Lin Hsieh<https://www.tsunglinhsieh.site>

TITLE: Tropical cyclone frequency in the future: understanding the model uncertainty through the dynamics of seed vortices

ABSTRACT: With climate change, tropical cyclones will likely occur at a different rate and location. The response of tropical cyclone frequency to future climate change is difficult to constrain, whether using theory, observational records, or modeling. In this talk, I will focus on future projections made by global climate models and discuss the source of uncertainty. I will develop a theoretical relationship between tropical cyclone frequency and future climate change, which involves the dynamics of vortex formation, large-scale energy balance, and tropical cloud response. Theoretical hypotheses are tested in versions of atmospheric models developed at the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab. The results imply a relationship between tropical cyclone frequency and equilibrium climate sensitivity, for which I will show evidence from CMIP6 models and discuss the assumptions and limitations.

We look forward to seeing you this Thursday!

Cheers,

Allison

On behalf of the MET Seminar Committee

Allison Wing, Ph.D.