[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday June 6th at 11:00AM

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jun 3 12:09:25 EDT 2022

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566

Passcode: 478314

June 6th

Shuhang (Thea) Xue: Model forecast errors in Rossby wave breaking

year-on-year and month-on-month forecast errors in global Rossby wave
breaking extents. Conditional composites show that the model world
introduces more significant errors in cyclonic wave breaking than in
anticyclonic ones globally. Results also show that the differences
between model and observation are largest around the Pacific.

Carly Narotsky: Characterizing the diurnal cycle in Florida

in Florida summers. These routine thunderstorms typically result from
the afternoon sea breezes, a feature of the diurnal cycle. To improve
our understanding of this pattern, I aim to characterize the phase and
amplitude of the diurnal cycle variations of 7 surface meteorology
variables at 31 observational stations in the Florida Automated Weather
Network (FAWN). In this presentation, I show preliminary results from a
few FAWN stations. The diurnal cycle analysis employs Ensemble Empirical
Mode Decomposition (EEMD) to isolate the diurnal mode of variability.
Preliminary results consistently show the famous late-afternoon maximum
in precipitation during the summer months.