[Eoas-seminar] Dr. Martin Puchner, "Literature for a Changing Planet, " Thurs. 4/7 @ 5PM (FAB 249)

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Apr 6 22:11:44 EDT 2022

Colleaugues, see below for a seminar that might be of interest to many in our department.

-Mike

SPECIAL LECTURE: The FSU Department of Modern Languages & Linguistics is delighted to welcome Dr. Martin Puchner (Harvard University) to campus on Thursday, April 7 (5:00-6:30PM, FAB 249) to give a lecture entitled “Literature for a Changing Planet.” <https://calendar.fsu.edu/event/literature_for_a_changing_planet?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Florida+State+University+Calendar#.Yk2M7rgpDOQ> We invite you and your students to attend. See attached flyer.

This special lecture is part of the MLL Lecture Series, sponsored by the Winthrop-King Institute. It is an in-person and online event.

To attend the event through Zoom, please register here:

https://fsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEkdu2pqDwsE9XY-VYnQ6XTt0w5LK-PtG8u

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

SPECIAL GRADUATE SEMINAR: On Friday, Prof. Puchner will lead a discussion with graduate students on a wide range of subjects, from literature's role in the midst of climate crisis, to the state of the field of "world literature," to the value of pursuing graduate study in the language/literature fields. In addition to his many accomplishments, Prof. Puchner is the general editor of The Norton Anthology of World Literature, and so has an especially broad view on literary and linguistic traditions around the world. This is a unique opportunity to speak intimately with a top scholar whose work touches on all of the subjects of our study, no matter which language tradition we fall in. We hope you will join us on Friday at 11am, with lunch to follow.

We ask that participants read (or skim!) the short and very readable introductions of two of Prof. Puchner’s books, as well as Chapters 1 and 4 of his book Changing Planet. PDFs will be provided. We understand how busy this time of year is for all of us, but this is an opportunity not to be missed! We also understand that many graduate students have teaching responsibilities on Fridays, so even limited attendance is welcome. Faculty are also welcome to attend.

Registration for the graduate seminar is required; please follow this link<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeUHSmqfj5dptsNyZkwRncw36osE_m4_iJVdW7_La9hI1v-Wg/viewform?usp=sf_link> to register (closing date is TODAY, Wednesday 4/6 at 5pm). There are opportunities to attend both in person and on Zoom. Lunch will be provided. When you register, please notify us of any dietary restrictions.

For more information, please contact:

Beth Coggeshall  (ecoggeshall at fsu.edu<mailto:ecoggeshall at fsu.edu>)

Matt Mewhinney (mmewhinney at fsu.edu<mailto:mmewhinney at fsu.edu>)