[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday at 11:00

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Sep 10 12:13:48 EDT 2021

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566
Passcode: 478314

Sept. 13

Xu Chen: The 2nd Generation of FVCOM Simulation for Apalachicola Bay

ecosystem in Apalachicola Bay which has collapsed in recent years. It
has a very bad influence on the fishery, oyster industry, related
commercial, and recreational industries. To diagnose and restore the
ecosystem in Apalachicola Bay, the ABSI project is proposed to gain
insight into the problem. One important goal of ABSI is to configure a
hydrodynamic model for the lower Apalachicola River, Apalachicola Bay
and the surrounding coastal and inner shelf regions. Because Dmitry and
Steve have configured one coarse-resolution model (100m) using FVCOM ten
years ago, this model is considered as the 2nd generation of FVCOM
simulation for Apalachicola Bay. Results of the simulation will be
briefly presented in this talk.

Dmitry Dukhovskoy: Development of the CSOMIO coupled
ocean-oil-sediment-biology model

ocean-oil-biology-sediment modeling system developed by the Consortium
for Simulation of Oil Microbial Interactions in the Ocean (CSOMIO)
project. Central to CSOMIO’s coupled modeling system is an oil plume
model coupled to the hydrodynamic model (Regional Ocean Modeling System,
ROMS). The oil plume model is based on a Lagrangian approach that
describes the oil plume dynamics including advection and diffusion of
individual Lagrangian elements, each representing a cluster of oil
droplets. The chemical composition of oil is described in terms of three
classes of compounds: saturates, aromatics, and heavy oil (resins and
asphaltenes). The oil plume model simulates the rise of oil droplets
based on ambient ocean flow and density fields, as well as the density
and size of the oil droplets. The oil model also includes surface
evaporation and surface wind drift. A novel component of the CSOMIO
model is two-way Lagrangian-Eulerian mapping of the oil characteristics.
This mapping is necessary for implementing interactions between the
ocean-oil module and the Eulerian sediment and biogeochemical modules.

Renee Richardson: /The NOAA SeaGrant Knauss Fellowship: My Experience
and How You Can Apply!/

Description - In February 2021, I began my NOAA SeaGrant John A. Knauss
Marine Policy Fellowship with my host office, NOAA Weather Program
Office (WPO). For the past 6 months, I have gained policy and program
management experience working in the Weather Observations Program and
the Disaster Related Appropriation Supplemental (DRAS) Program. In this
talk, I will cover the Knauss fellowship application process, placement
process, my experiences, and the upcoming notice for applying to the
2023 Knauss Fellow class.