[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday at 11:00

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Jul 7 15:43:56 EDT 2021

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566
Passcode: 478314

July 12th:

Frederick Soster: Implementation of a Simplified Atmospheric Boundary
Layer Model with HYCOM to Better Understand Air-Sea Interaction

introduced by Lemarié et. al (2020) is currently being implemented with
the HYbrid Coordinate Ocean Model (HYCOM) to try and better capture
air-sea interactions at the atmospheric mesoscale and finer spatial
resolutions. The ABL1d is an intermediate step between bulk
parameterizations that rely solely on ocean surface and near surface
atmospheric data and a fully coupled ocean-atmosphere that can
assimilate both 3d oceanic and atmospheric fields. Details about ABL1d,
its current implementation with HYCOM, and potential future projects are
discussed.

Jackie May: Impact of submesoscale ocean resolution on the ocean mixed
layer in a coupled model

model has a large impact on the ocean mixed layer. We have run 4
different model test cases over the Gulf Stream region with varying
ocean and atmospheric horizontal resolution. I will be discussing the
differences in the heat budget and the momentum budget in the ocean
mixed layer.

Tyler Sherrod: The Diagnosis of Flash Droughts

introduced to describe rapidly developing droughts. In this
presentation, I will discuss the various existing definitions that have
been proposed for flash drought and explore a new definition based on
observed variables.