[Eoas-seminar] REMINDER TODAY: Fwd: EOAS Colloquium at 3:30 PM, Friday, Oct. 9

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Oct 9 09:58:30 EDT 2020

Our next speaker in theEOASColloquiumTODAY at 3:30 pm will be

Dr. Shineng Hu of the Columbia University / Duke University

Global climate impacts of Indian Ocean warming

The tropical Indian Ocean (TIO) has warmed by 1°C since the 1950s, at a
faster rate than the other tropical oceans. In this talk, I will discuss
how this warming can affect the Atlantic Ocean via atmospheric and
oceanic teleconnections. Specifically, by reorganizing the atmospheric
Walker circulation in the equatorial band, this warming can reduce
precipitation in the tropical Atlantic, resulting in pronounced surface
salinity anomalies. On multidecadal timescales, these anomalies are
advected to northern high latitudes and strengthen the Atlantic
meridional overturning circulation (AMOC). The resultant AMOC changes
lead to a stronger hemispheric
asymmetry and a northward shifted intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ).
On shorter timescales, Indian Ocean warming generates a train of
atmospheric planetary waves, which reach the subpolar North Atlantic,
strengthen surface westerly winds there, and cool the underlying ocean
within a few months to years. This mechanism could potentially explain
the suppressed warming in the subpolar North Atlantic (known as the
"warming hole") seen in the observational record. Further, I will
discuss the implications for past and future climate changes and ocean
interbasin teleconnections.

Via Zoom:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/92556866443?pwd=bTFlc1Rnc0QrUG84UFlvN1MxdzdlUT09

The informal virtual chat will start at 3:00 PM through the same zoom
link. Please contact Dr Zhaohua Wu if you would like to meet privately
with the speaker in that day.

The more detailed zoom meeting information is appended

==========================

Zhaohua Wu is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: EOAS Colloquium, Oct. 9
Time: Oct 9, 2020 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://fsu.zoom.us/j/92556866443?pwd=bTFlc1Rnc0QrUG84UFlvN1MxdzdlUT09

*Meeting ID: 925 5686 6443*
*Passcode: 451688*
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,92556866443# US (Germantown)
+16465588656,,92556866443# US (New York)

Dial by your location
         +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
         +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
         +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)