[Eoas-seminar] First Spring EOAS Colloquium Speaker Fri Jan 17 at 3:30 in 1044 EOA

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 10 19:16:51 EST 2020

We will kick off our spring EOAS colloquium next Friday at 3:30 in 1044 EOA with our first speaker:

Dr. Jolante Van Wijk

 New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
What Creates the Unique Topography of East Africa?
The elevation of East Africa is unusually high, commonly >3000 m above sea level. The elevation of a continent above sea level is generally related to the thick, low-density crust of the continents, plus contributions from tectonic events. In East Africa however, these two factors together cannot explain its high elevation. It has been suggested that a third component, called dynamic topography, may contribute to the high elevation in East Africa. Dynamic topography is caused by flow in Earth’s mantle.
In this seminar, I will discuss dynamic topography, how theoretical models predict that it exists, and how we can quantify it. I will show how submarine unconformities can be used to quantify dynamic topography in oceanic basins.