[Eoas-seminar] EOAS Colloquium, Friday, Oct. 4, 3:30 PM in CAR 101.

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 3 22:38:01 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Please join us for our next speaker in the Fall EOAS Colloquium series, this Friday Oct. 4 at 3:30 in CAR 101.

Dr. Nick Moore, Assoc. Prof., Mathematics, FSU

Title: Experiments and theory for anomalous waves induced by abrupt changes in topography

Abstract:
I will discuss both laboratory experiments and a newly developed theory for randomized surface waves propagating over variable bathymetry. The experiments show that an abrupt depth change can qualitatively alter wave statistics, transforming an initially Gaussian wave field into a highly skewed one. In our experiments, the probability of a rogue wave can increase by a factor of 50 compared to what would be expected from normal statistics. I will discuss a theoretical framework based on dynamical and statistical analysis of the truncated KdV equations. This theory accurately captures many key features of the experiments, such as the skewed outgoing wave distributions and the associated excitation of higher frequencies in the spectrum.