[Eoas-seminar] Reminder : EOAS Colloquium TODAY Sept 7 at 3:30

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:39:43 EDT 2018

Dr. William Landing will be giving our next EOAS Seminar on Friday Sept
7 at 3:30 pm in CAR 101.
We look forward to seeing you there!

*Atmospheric Deposition to the Oceans Controls Biological Productivity*

**

The atmospheric flux of trace elements and isotopes (TEIs) to the oceans
can be extremely important in marine biogeochemical cycles, especially
for bioactive trace elements. This includes many trace elements and
isotopes of interest to the GEOTRACES program such as Al, V, Mn, Fe, Co,
Ni, Cu, Zn, Cd, Pb, and others. However, there are large uncertainties
associated with converting aerosol TEI concentrations into atmospheric
deposition fluxes. We need to use an aerosol tracer whose atmospheric
deposition can be tracked as a function of time. Following production by
cosmic-ray spallation, tropospheric Be-7 (half-life 53.3d) quickly
attaches to aerosols and is deposited to the oceans by wet and dry
deposition. Due to its radioactive decay, the inventory of Be-7 in the
upper ocean is balanced by its flux from the atmosphere. The ability to
derive the atmospheric flux of Be-7 from its ocean inventory provides a
key linkage between the atmospheric concentrations of chemical species
and their deposition to the ocean. By measuring upper ocean inventories
and aerosol concentrations of Be-7, we can derive a “bulk deposition
velocity” that accounts for both wet and dry deposition. The bulk
deposition velocities can then be applied to any other aerosol species
to calculate its flux. Where the fractional solubility of aerosol TEIs
has been measured, the bulk deposition velocities can be used to
calculate the atmospheric flux of soluble TEIs. This is especially
useful for estimating the impact of atmospheric deposition on biological
productivity since soluble TEIs are expected to be intrinsically
bioavailable to phytoplankton. We will present results from field
campaigns in the Sargasso Sea (Bermuda) and the Arctic Ocean to test
this approach.