[Eoas-seminar] parfitt seminar on thursday march 1

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Feb 21 13:10:19 EST 2018

ladies and gentlemen

our visitor, Rhys Parfitt, a candidate for our faculty opening will
present a seminar on Thursday March 1 at 3:30pm in the Baum lecture
room.  His seminar is titled

Why do we need high-resolution western boundary currents to properly
model their influence on weather and climate?

This talk considers some of the key processes that determine the impact
of the Western Boundary Currents on mid-latitude weather and climate.
Specifically, we focus on the coupled interaction between the oceanic
frontal zones and individual atmospheric fronts, and discuss why this is
primarily responsible for the local as well as basin-scale
ocean-to-atmosphere feedback in the seasonal mean and longer time scale.
As this interaction is highly sensitive to resolution, it is suggested
that the influence of these oceanic frontal zones on climate can’t be
properly realised in general circulation models unless they are at
sufficiently high resolution (i.e. horizontal grid size of 25km or
less). The implications for current general circulation models and
reanalysis datasets are addressed.

--
William K Dewar
Dept. of EOAS