[Eoas-seminar] Geodynamics colloquium Thursday 3:30pm

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Mon Feb 19 10:20:22 EST 2018

Announcing a colloquium this Thursday February 22nd at 3:30 pm in 353LOV (Baum Room) entitled:

Beyond elasticity: How faults deform the lithosphere and interact with each other

By: Johanna Nevitt,
US Geological Survey Earth Quake Science Center, Menlo Park

Abstract
Over the last century, Reid’s theory of elastic rebound has dominated our thinking of how faults accrue and release deformation throughout the earthquake cycle. The assumption of elasticity, however, breaks down in two critical regions of the lithosphere: (1) the brittle-ductile transition, where many large magnitude earthquake ruptures nucleate, and (2) the very shallow crust where hazardous fault slip reaches and affects Earth’s surface. In this talk, I argue that moving beyond elasticity is needed to explain fault behavior in these two regions. In each setting, I use geological and/or geophysical data to characterize natural structures and identify micro-mechanisms of deformation. This knowledge provides the foundation for mechanics-based finite element models that test how fault behavior evolves under varying conditions and constitutive laws. With this integrated methodology, I determine that off-fault plastic deformation significantly enhances fault slip and interaction under brittle-ductile conditions and concentrates surface deformation above a shallowly buried fault tip. Thus, accounting for inelastic behavior will likely transform our knowledge of many fault processes throughout the lithosphere, including earthquake rupture nucleation, deep and shallow afterslip, and surface rupture, with global hazard implications for populations near active faults.

Dr. Vincent J.M. Salters
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory and Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences
Florida State University
Tallahassee, Florida
Phone: 850-644-1934, Skype: vsalters