[Eoas-seminar] EOAS Colloquium Friday Feb 23

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 16 18:36:05 EST 2018

Colleagues,

Please note that we have an EOAS Colloquium at 3:30 pm by Prof. Gerta Keller, Friday, Feb. 23, in CAR 101.

Title: Mercury directly links Deccan Volcanism to Climate Change and the End-Cretaceous Mass Extinction

Abstract: Mercury anomalies from atmospheric fallout of massive continental volcanic eruptions are associated with four of the five major mass  extinctions in Earth’s history, but a direct cause-and-effect link has remained elusive. We analyzed mercury in the late Maastrichtian (Tunisia, Spain, Israel and 30 other localities worldwide) and correlate this record with Deccan volcanism based on cyclostratigraphy and U-Pb Deccan geochronology. Results directly link Deccan volcanism to rapid global climate changes, ocean acidification and increasing environmental stress during the last 320 ky of the Maastrichtian. However, the most severe volcanic eruptions (~66 % by volume) occurred during the final 40 ky leading to the mass extinction. The role of the Chicxulub impact in the mass extinction, or precise timing relative to Deccan volcanism remains to be determined.

Munir.

Munir Humayun
Professor
Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science
	& National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
Florida State University
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, FL32310
(850) 644-1908