[Eoas-seminar] GFDI Student Seminar - Ocean Circulation via Bayesian Inversion

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Tue Mar 28 11:10:27 EDT 2017

*GFDI Student Seminar*

Hi GDF fellows! It's time for our next GFDI Student Seminar.

Presenter: * Leah Rumancik*
Topic: *Ocean Circulation via Bayesian Inversion and Markov Chain Monte
Carlo *
Place:* Melvin Stern Seminar Room, #18 Keen Bldg*
Date: *Tuesday April 4th at 1:00 p.m.*

Abstract:

Recently, statistical models have become more prevalent in physical
problems for their ability to incorporate a quantitative measure of
uncertainty and to minimize the preprocessing and interpolation stage
commonly associated with popular techniques. This presentation introduces
how to construct a statistical circulation model around physical
oceanography constraints. We start with basic physical properties and known
tracer values to set up and parameterize an advection-diffusion equation.
Unknown parameters in the equation are determined using a Bayesian
inversion framework with an incorporated Markov chain Monte Carlo
simulation. Here, we focus on finding the flow of a neutral density layer
in the South Atlantic and demonstrate the potential of statistical models
as a tool for a variety of oceanography problems.

Refreshments will be provided.

*P.S. If you are willing to present at one of our seminars do not hesitate
to contact me. Feel free to invite other students interested.*

Roger B. Pacheco Castro
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute
Florida State University
*Go Noles!*