[Eoas-seminar] ☀ ☁ ☀ - Oceanography Seminar: Dr. Quentin Jamet, Friday March 31 - ☀ ☁ ☀

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Tue Mar 21 16:20:29 EDT 2017

"North Atlantic multidecadal variability in an idealized coupled model"

Physical Oceanography Seminar

Friday, March 31 -  12:00PM

OSB 327

Dr. Quentin Jamet - Florida State University

At multidecadal time-scales, the principal mode of variability in the North Atlantic is referred to as the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation). It is revealed by oceanic observations, but its origin remains highly debated.

In this presentation, I will investigate the possible mechanisms that drive the low frequency North Atlantic variability in a range of idealized flat bottom coupled configurations. I will mainly focus on two aspects, i.e. the role of dynamical air-sea interactions and the baroclinic nature of the simulated multidecadal variability. Although the atmospheric variability is significantly correlated to the Meridional Overturning Circulation (MOC) two years latter at 1° horizontal resolution, ocean-only experiments highlight that such correlations do not necessarily imply causality. In contrast, results obtained from linear stability analyses suggest that the simulated MOC variability is paced by large scale baroclinic Rossby waves radiated from an eastern boundary instability controlled by diabatic processes.