[Eoas-seminar] GFDI SEMINAR & DISSERTATION DEFENSE ON FRIDAY, JULY 14 AT 9:00AM IN ROOM 422, DIRAC SCIENCE LIBRARY, 4th FLOOR

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 6 08:45:08 EDT 2017

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&                                                           GFDI SEMINAR                                                                                                   &

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Title

“Statistical Analysis of Karst Aquifer Pollution, Karst Flow Model Validation at Laboratory Scale, and Development of Seepage Meter"
Speaker
Roger Benito Pacheco Castro

Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Ph.D. Candidate

Florida State University

(Major Professor: Dr. Ming Ye)

Time
Friday, July 14, 2017 at 9:00AM
Place
Room 422, Dirac Library 4th Floor

Dissertation Defense will follow the seminar

Abstract:  Karst aquifers are vulnerable to contamination, as conduits and fractures in the aquifers are preferential flow paths where contaminants move fast. On the other hand, the presence of conduits, fractures, and buggy porosity makes groundwater modeling for Karst aquifer a challenge. This dissertation addresses several important issues related to groundwater contamination, numerical modeling, and equipment development with potential applications in Karst. First, I discuss groundwater contamination in the Karst aquifer of Yucatan, which is the only source of drinking water for the entire population of Yucatan but groundwater in the top of the aquifer has been polluted and cannot be used for human consumption. I developed a new statistical method to analyze temporal and spatial variation of groundwater quality in the aquifer.  The second part of the dissertation is focused on validating the MODFLOW CFP M1 model developed by the U.S. Geological Survey for simulating groundwater flow in Karst aquifers. For this purpose a 3D sandbox was built to simulate a simple Karst aquifer. The model validation process is important to build confidence for using the model. I was interested in quantifying to what extent the model can accurately simulate groundwater flow in Karst conduit and surrounding porous media, in other words, if the equation used to simulate the flow exchange between Karst conduits and surrounding porous media was suitable for our experimental set up. Finally, I developed a seepage meter to measure groundwater seepage from groundwater to surface waterbodies such as a lake. Measuring groundwater seepage is important for the management of water quality in surface waterbodies, because groundwater contaminants enter surface water bodies through the seepage. An analytical solution was developed to estimate the seepage through the bottom of a lake. I tested the accuracy of the proposed seepage meter as well as the analytical solution by using a sandbox and the corresponding MODFLOW model designed to simulate an unconfined aquifer discharging into a shallow lake.