[Eoas-seminar] Today! Pizza and THE LOST TERMS OF CORIOLIS at gfdi

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu May 7 06:53:41 EDT 2015

The first meeting of the gfdi student seminar is Today, Thursday May 7,
2015 at 3:30pm in the Melvin Stern Seminar Room, 018 Keen Building
(http://gfdi.fsu.edu/location). The gfdi student seminars discuss topics
in fluid dynamics and its applications ranging from mathematics,
meteorology, oceanography, the Earth sciences, engineering, and
astrophysics.

There will be *free pizza* for students who RSVP
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1607084386245399/> :)
While we have pizza, we’ll chart out a schedule for the summer, and
discuss ideas for a new gfdi logo
<http://gfdi.fsu.edu/%7Ecsmith/gfdilogo/>. Afterward we will have the talk:

Carlowen Smith - “*THE LOST TERMS OF CORIOLIS*”
This introductory-level talk will discuss the Coriolis Effect, its
various interpretations, misconceptions, non-standard derivations and
applications, and its four century long history of conflict between
mathematics and common sense.

In addition, this summer we will be scheduling a few mini-classes of 2-3
talks each.  These will be full introductions to a topic accessible to
interested grad students from a broader field.
If you would like to present, but can’t make it to the meeting, email us
and let us know. Past presentations and a preliminary schedule can be
found here: http://gfdi.fsu.edu/Seminar/

Thanks,
The Organizers