[Discipuli] Classics Majors: Spring Registration and Other Announcements

James Sickinger jsicking at fsu.edu
Mon Oct 9 08:37:50 EDT 2017

Dear Classics Majors,

A few announcments as we near the midway point for the term:

Spring Registration.
Registration for spring term is already upon us(!), and I'd like to start setting up advising appointments with everyone. I have attached a PDF listing the undergraduate Classics courses of the spring term, to help you find appropriate courses in the major.

There is no need to rush and set up an appointment immediately; check and see when your advising window opens, and try to get something a week or so before that.

The best way to set up an appointment is to email me. I am setting aside advising slots this week on Tuesday from 10:30 to 1 and 3:30-5:00; Wedneday from 11-2, and Thursday 10:30 to 1 and 3:30-5:00. I'll have the same times available next week, as well as slots on Monday.

Grad School Application Worshop.
A couple of you have asked about applying to graduate schools, and expressed an interest in a workshop on what is involed. If that is something that interests you, please email me. I'd like to get one or two faculty members from Classics to attend, and I was thinking one day later in October (e.g., October 25 or 26, around 5 or 6 pm).

Upcoming Lectures.
Otherwise, please keep in mind the following events:

  *    Archaeology Lecture on Tuesday, October 10, at 6:30 pm in 249 FAB. Dr. Lynn Lancaster of Ohio University will speak on Vaulting Techniques in the Western Roman Empire
  *    Collegiate Certamen Tournament on Saturday, October 14, 11-4 pm, Dodd Hall
  *    Langford Conference on Epic and History at Rome, Friday and Saturday, October 27-28th, Turnbull Conference Center

Hope your semesters are going smoothly,

Dr Sickinger