Collaborative Collision: Big Data Reminder (October 28, 4:00-7:00 p.m., Alumni Center)

Med Research Research at med.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 10 11:04:12 EDT 2019

Dear All,

Please see the below invitation from the Office of Proposal Development about this fall's collaborative collision event focused on big data. The event should be worthwhile even if you can only attend for part of the time. The keynote speaker and poster session in the first half is usually the most well-attended, but the second half mingling / networking has been invaluable to the creation of several new teams.

Terra

*****
Collaborative Collisions are FSU's premier interdisciplinary research networking events, and are routinely attended by 75-100 faculty members from all of our colleges, departments, and research centers. Our goal is to encourage connections that will lead to new and exciting research projects, and participation allows you compete for internal funding through our Collaborative Collision Seed Fund. In addition to networking at the event, a booklet containing a brief description of your research interests, along with your contact information,  will be distributed to other attendees and provided on our website. You will also have a research profile poster on display at the event, created by OPD from information you provide about your background and research interests.

Big Data is one of the broadest topical areas we have ever covered at a Collaborative Collision event, with applications in practically every academic discipline at FSU, with scores of faculty working on related projects. At the same time, big data has become a hot area for federal funding, with numerous opportunities available from NSF, NIH, the Departments of Defense, Energy, and Education, and the National Endowments for Art and the Humanities.

We are especially pleased to announce our Keynote Speaker for this event will be Kate Zwaard, chief of National Digital Initiatives<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://digitalpreservation.gov/ndi/index.html?loclr=blogsig__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!lRT3_mk1xWsXfePQ-kD5oo7LnbdHw1IB8XpVPsYMLJHolX-sZDxnWruWmHquH-GCRyxOkM4iChq-jsclFaA$ > at the United States Library of Congress. Ms. Zwaard leads a new group focused on digital innovation and expanding the use of the digital collections. She previously managed the Digital Repository Development team, contributing leadership, code and a passion for the mission of the agency. Under her technical direction, the Library of Congress ingested three petabytes (equivalent to 3 million gigabytes) of digital collections, including web archives, the first born-digital manuscript collections, 10 million Chronicling America newspaper pages and three-fourths of a trillion tweets.

If you have not already, please sign up now:  https://www.research.fsu.edu/research-offices/opd/collaborative-collision/registration-page/

[cid:image001.png at 01D57F5A.72424EB0]