[Coe-peac] Thank You!

Guerette, Amy aguerette at fsu.edu
Fri Apr 25 14:10:15 EDT 2014

Dear All,

I wanted to thank all of you for a great PEAC meeting today, in which we focused on the CAEP accreditation standards and thoughtful discussion of what this means for our programs! I know there was a good deal of information shared and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feedback, and concerns. As we discussed, national accreditation is a reality for us here at FSU as a state university in Florida. I believe that our energies will be best spent planning the next steps for meeting the CAEP standards and determining our need for resources.

This morning, the New York times ran an article about the federal government's intentions to rate teacher education programs. The link to the article is below; please take a moment to read it. You will note that they are quoting NCTQ.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/us/obama-administration-plan-seeks-to-rate-teacher-training-programs.html?hpw&rref=education&_r=0

I completely understand the concerns that were voiced regarding the balance between growing accreditation demands, enrollment targets, and research expectations. I believe these will be important topics for the group to discuss in the Fall semester and I promise to keep the conversation going, but we must do so in a way in which we brainstorm solutions and move forward. I also believe that some of the concerns voiced were specific to STE, not the larger PEAC group.

Rebecca and I will be around all summer if you would like one of us to meet with your programs or if you simply want to chat!

Wishing you a smooth ending to the Spring semester!

My Best,
-Amy

Amy R. Guerette, Ed.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs