[Coe-grad] Important Dates, Deadlines and Workshops Related to Manuscript Clearance

FSU College of Education coe-grad at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 10 15:12:19 EST 2014

From: "Marcus, Nancy H." <nmarcus at admin.fsu.edu<mailto:nmarcus at admin.fsu.edu>>
Date: January 10, 2014 at 8:52:24 AM EST
Subject: Important Dates, Deadlines and Workshops Related to Manuscript Clearance

Dear Colleagues,

With the beginning of a new semester, we wanted to once again remind you of information that will keep you up to date regarding deadlines, workshops and all things related to the manuscript clearance process for your graduate students. Below is a summary of events and deadlines for the Spring 2014 semester. Please share this information with your faculty, staff and students.

ETD Workshops
We will once again offer a range of dates and times for the ETD workshops in an attempt to reach as many graduate students as possible. These workshops are designed to provide students with needed information regarding the formatting of their thesis/treatise/dissertation, to answer questions they may have about formatting, to review deadlines and to walk them through the manuscript upload process. All workshops listed here are held in the Scholars Commons 5A, Strozier Library. Additionally, our staff is available to host workshops for specific colleges or departments if the need arises. Please contact our Manuscript Clearance Advisor if you are interested in this type of workshop. The dates and times for the Spring workshops are:

Jan 16                    10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Jan 27                    5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Feb 6                     2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Feb 24                   4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Mar 4                    12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Mar 20                  3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Apr 1                     5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.

We encourage students to attend the workshops at least one semester in advance of when they will be writing their thesis/treatise/dissertation. Please provide students the link to our web site, http://www.gradschool.fsu.edu/Professional-Development/Professional-Development-Workshop-Seriesfor details on the ETD workshops as well as other Graduate School workshops.

University Representative Defense Reports
Defense Reports should be received in the Graduate School office within one week after the defense date. To assist those of you who serve as a University Representative, we are currently sending reminder emails with the correct form attached so that you have the form to take to the defense and can complete it more easily. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact the Manuscript Clearance Office in the Graduate School.
Manuscript Clearance Deadlines
Manuscript deadlines are shown below. The earliest deadline (Semester vs. 60-Day) is the deadline that applies.
60-Day Deadline
Manuscripts must be cleared (manuscript formatting approved, and all forms received) no later than 60 days after the date of a successful defense. If a manuscript is not cleared within 60 days of the defense, the student must re-defend. This rule applies even if a student does not graduate in the semester in which the defense was held. For example, a student defending on 12-11-13 would graduate Spring 2014 but the manuscript would have to be cleared by 2-11-14. There are no exceptions to this 60-Day rule.

Spring Semester Clearance Deadlines
4-14-14: Last day to upload a manuscript to the ETD web site for the initial manuscript format check.
4-21-14: Last day to defend; last day to upload the final manuscript to the ETD web site; all completed forms must be received by the Manuscript Clearance Office. If students choose to defend this late, they still are responsible for making all changes that may be requested by the Manuscript Clearance Advisor and their committee, and submitting all completed forms, by the end of the day.
Manuscript Submission
All manuscripts must be submitted to the Manuscript Clearance Office via the ProQuest ETD web site. We receive about 200 manuscripts each semester; therefore, we strongly encourage students to submit their manuscript at the same time that the manuscript is submitted to the committee for review rather than waiting until the last possible minute. For thesis students, this means two weeks before the defense and for treatise/dissertation students, four weeks before the defense. At the very latest, a manuscript must be uploaded to the ETD web site by the initial submission deadline (4-14-14) in order for the student to graduate in Spring 2014, unless the student falls under the 60-day deadline. The process for uploading is outlined in the Graduate Bulletin, and the steps to submission can be found in GradSpace on Blackboard. Manuscripts not formatted in full accordance with the Guidelines brochure will NOT be reviewed and will NOT count as an initial submission to meet any deadline.
Please encourage your students to attend one of the ETD Workshops and to visit GradSpace on Blackboard for further information about the manuscript clearance process. In GradSpace, students can find the Guidelines & Requirements for Electronic Theses, Treatises and Dissertations,which should answer any questions they have regarding the correct formatting of their manuscripts. Additionally, students and faculty can find the latest versions of required clearance forms there. If you have questions about a form or need updated forms, please let us know, as the Graduate School will not accept outdated forms.

Please note that after the manuscript formatting is approved, the submission is locked and NO further changes will be allowed.

Thank you,
Nancy

Nancy Marcus
Dean, The Graduate School
Robert O. Lawton Distinguished Professor of Oceanography
Florida State University
Westcott 314
Tallahassee, FL 32306
Ph: 850 644-3501
FAX: 850 644-2969
Email: nmarcus at fsu.edu<mailto:nmarcus at fsu.edu>

If you are receiving this email, you have been identified by the university as officially pursuing a graduate major within the College of Education at The Florida State University. The COE graduate listserv is a resource used strictly by COE administrators to ensure our students are well-informed of important updates, deadlines and opportunities that will benefit both their academic and/or professional endeavors. You will never receive any spam or other unnecessary email through this listserv and you will be removed as a recipient following completion of your degree or change of major (typically at the end of your final semester in the college). If you are not a currently enrolled graduate student in the FSU COE, please contact Ms. Rhonda Hester at rhester at fsu.edu<mailto:rhester at fsu.edu>. If you have concerns regarding this listserv, please contact the COE Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Dr. Amy R. Guerette at aguerette at fsu.edu<mailto:aguerette at fsu.edu>.