[Art-bastudio] workshop with Sam Kronick this weekend!

RAY, MICHELLE mlray at fsu.edu
Mon Feb 24 09:53:08 EST 2014

Hello all,

As a part of the formLab Project Fellows program at FAR, Sam Kronick will be conducting a free workshop this coming Friday (9AM-1PM) and Saturday (10AM-6PM). Spaces are limited to 10 people. To RSVP, please email me at mlray at fsu.edu.

Workshop description:
SENSING INFRASTRUCTURE will be a 2-day workshop about tools and
techniques for space exploration in the Tallahassee area. Participants
will walk along a portion of the 14.3-mile-long path traced by the
Tallahassee Fiber Loop, a piece of anonymous infrastructure that will
act as our guide. The TFL is a buried fiber optic cable that surrounds
the Tallahassee area and provides high speed networking connections for
research and commercial clients, but for the purposes of this workshop
it will function primarily as a structuring device for seeing the region
from an unconventional perspective. How does this otherwise-invisible
piece of technology inhabit and occupy space? As a line, does it act as
a connector or a boundary? Does it create new spaces or is the
surrounding landscape left unchanged? As we walk, we will discuss and
use tools for sensing and recording space ranging from drawing and
photography to 3D scanning and WIFI network logging. Simultaneously, we
will experiment with actions and techniques that provide algorithmic
structure to our exploration in a tradition spanning Situationist and
Surrealist games to contemporary architectural sites studies.

Workshop participants should bring cameras, sketchbooks, audio
recorders, or any other materials/tools they wish to use to document the
space we will move through.

Recommended Readings for Workshop Participants:
PDF's are available here:
http://slowerinternet.com/FSU/FSU_readings.zip
http://slowerinternet.com/FSU/FSU_readings_bonus.zip (optional)

"Invisible City (Telecommunication)" from The Infrastructural City (by
Kazys Varnelis)
Maps and diagrams of the Las Vegas Strip from Learning from Las Vegas
(by Venturi, Scott Brown, Izenour)
"Map Piece" and "Travel Piece" from grapefruit (by Yoko Ono)

bonus readings for the extra motivated:
"Situationist Space" (Thomas F. McDonough)
"Field Conditions" (Stan Allen)

BIO
-------------------------------------
Sam Kronick is an artist, designer, and technologist who currently lives
in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He studied art and architecture within an
engineering culture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
and received an MFA in Visual Arts from UC San Diego. He is interested
in using art and design to better understand the cultural and spatial
role of everyday technologies. Recent works incorporate video,
sculpture, software, and writing to create installations, products, and
media experiences for a variety of audiences from the gallery to public
spaces.

In the summer of 2013, Kronick founded The Consortium for Slower
Internet— an organization dedicated to investigating spaces of
computation and communication. The Consortium is guided by the
Principles for Slower Internet: duration, defamiliarization, autonomy,
and divergence.

In the past, Kronick has collaborated with Danish art collective N55 and
written software with art and technology studio Sosolimited.

Sam Kronick: http://www.samkronick.com
The Consortium for Slower Internet: http://www.slowerinternet.com

Best,
Michelle