[Agedirectors] Report from GSA meeting

Neil Charness charness at psy.fsu.edu
Mon Nov 7 15:57:26 EST 2022

Hi Folks:

We had over 30 in-person attendees at the Directors of Aging Centers meeting at GSA.  Our agenda was as follows:

  1.  Leadership of the Age Directors Group (Neil Charness)
  2.  Leadership training grant subgroup (Patricia Heyn)
  3.  Gerontology Database (Julie Masters not available)
  4.  Use of GSA email vs the FSU listserv
  5.  Coordinating receptions at GSA
  6.  Other business

For the first item, we had two volunteers to assume the role of co-directors in 2024.
Volunteers, please e-mail me your assent to stand for the co-directorship positions.

We also sponsored a symposium this year pertaining to the second agenda item about leadership training that was well attended and had excellent audience participation.

For item 4, we decided that we would poll the membership about switching from a listserv maintained at FSU to the GSA Connections email option.  The concern was whether non-GSA members would be inconvenienced by such a move as they would no longer be able to participate.  I've attached a poll to this email (below), so please respond soon.

Should the Directors of Aging Centers switch from its listserv to GSA Connect? (View/vote in browser<https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=61Bkowbbp0KNGwJnGfcB4zxMSedWvE9DhBCj3op30BVUNUo2TElFVUJVTjRMRzcyTFZOT1VCWTNNNS4u>)

We decided to form a subgroup to come up with recommendations for coordinating receptions at GSA given the potential advantages of setting timing, negotiating prices as a group.  If you are already sponsoring a reception in whole or in part or planning to do so, please volunteer by sending me an email.

Among the topics mentioned in other business we discussed the following:

  1.  For those with multiple centers at their institution, it was suggested that they coordinate to sync pilot grant programs.
  2.  It would be helpful to have access to national mentors, as the range of Directors varies from experienced to novices.
  3.  Connected to the issue of switching to GSA Connect, it was suggested that we develop a detailed web site for the group
  4.  We need to consider topics for next year's symposium.
  5.  It would be useful to develop a taxonomy of aging centers to better understand our needs.

Best, Neil

Neil Charness, Ph.D., William G. Chase Professor of Psychology
FSU Distinguished Research Professor
Director, Institute for Successful Longevity www.isl.fsu.edu<http:// www.isl.fsu.edu>
Department of Psychology, Florida State University
1107 West Call Street, Tallahassee, Florida, USA 32306-4301
Phone (office): 850-644-6686; Fax: 850-644-7739
E-mail: charness at psy.fsu.edu<mailto:charness at psy.fsu.edu>; http://www.psy.fsu.edu/~charness/
Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written business communications to or from FSU staff and/or any public college or university employee are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.